“As far as we can discern,Carl Jung
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light of meaning
in the darkness of mere being.”
We believe in bringing architecture “back to the earth,Peter Zumthor
back to the real thing,
architecture in the traditional sense of making things.”
We are “convinced that a good building
must be capable of absorbing the traces of human life
and taking on a specific richness.”
We “think of the patina of age on materials,
of innumerable small scratches on surfaces,
of varnish that has grown dull and brittle,
and of edges polished by use.”
“Details, when they are successful,
are not mere decoration.
They do not distract or entertain.
They lead to an understanding of the whole
of which they are an inherent part.”
We are a small firm that focuses on one or two projects at a time.
We treat residential architecture as a very private, very personal, very site specific matter,
and do not seek awards or publicity.
Ours is solely a referral based practice.
We have eschewed the current trend of ‘architecture as spectacle’,
and are mindful of what endures:
creating spaces that evoke a feeling of use
and a sense of place.
We recognize that architecture, in its purest, most idealized form,
combines the experiences and expertise of clients, designers and craftspeople
to produce an effect greater than the sum of their individual efforts.
Sincere collaboration is key...
Res Loci was established 24 years ago.
Early in our career, we gained valuable experience
working with some talented architects...
- Ibsen Nelsen
- Kazuyuki Murata
- George Suyama
- Stephen Sullivan
- Rex Hohlbein
Periodically, we enjoy the challenge
presented by an international design competition...
- 1985 Mercer Island Civic Center — First Place
- 1986 May 4 Memorial (Kent State University)
- 1989 Women in Military Service for America Memorial — Honorable Mention
- 1990 Brickell Bridge Gateway
- 1991 New England Holocaust Memorial
- 2000 Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial
- 2003 World Trade Center Site Memorial
- 2005 Giant’s Causeway Visitor Center
- 2017 Clandon Park (to restore and reimagine Clandon Park following the major fire)
“Architecture is not made by way of a brainFrank Lloyd Wright
nearly so much as it is made by way of a cultivated, enriched heart.”
Travel: Architecture and Gardens...
- 1987 Architecture Tour - England, France, Switzerland and Italy - cycle camping
- 5 months cycling from London to Rome
- 2000 National Trust House and Garden Tour - England - Goddards
- Clandon Park, RHS Garden-Wisley, Sissinghurst Castle, Standen House and Garden, Gravetye Manor,
- Hestercombe, Tintinhull House Garden, Montacute House, Munstead Wood, Kew Gardens, & Nymans
- 2001 Architecture and Garden Tour - France and Spain - Paris to Barcelona
- Dordogne: Les Jardins du Manoir d’Eyrignac & Les Jardins de Marqueyssac
- 2002 Architecture and Garden Tour - Ireland - Clomantagh Castle
- Butler House, Russborough House and Parklands, Dillon Garden, Powerscourt Estate, Mount Usher Gardens, Butterstream Gardens, Emo Court, Heywood Gardens, Altamont Gardens, Lismore Castle Gardens, & Annes Grove House and Gardens
- 2002 Architecture and Garden Tour - Ireland - Galley Head Lighthouse
- Castle Freke, Muckross House, Ilnacullin Garden (Garnish Island), Bantry House, & Ballymaloe House
- 2004 National Trust House and Garden Tour - Northern Ireland - Blackhead Lighthouse
- Florence Court, Castle Coole, Castle Upton, Mount Stewart, Temple of the Winds, Rowallane Gardens, Castle Ward,
- Giant’s Causeway, Downhill House, & Mussenden Temple
- 2004 National Trust for Scotland House and Garden Tour - Scotland - Gargunnock House
- Culzean Castle, Geilston Garden, Hill House, Greenbank Garden, Pollok House, & Glasgow School of Art
- 2008 Architectural Salvage Tour - Paris, France
- Paris Flea Market, Marc Maison Gallery, & Origines
- 2008 Architecture and Garden Tour - Italy and Switzerland - Villa Saraceno
- Andrea Palladio: Villa Rotunda and Villa Barbaro & Carlo Scarpa: Castelvecchio and Brion Cemetery
- 2014 Architecture Tour - Italy
- Milan, Florence, Siena, Montalcino, Montepulciano, & Cinque Terre
- 2017 Architecture and Garden Tour - Netherlands and Belgium - Amsterdam to Antwerp
- Apeldoorn: Piet Oudolf’s private garden
“Beauty in architecture is driven by practicality.Peter Zumthor
If you do what you should,
then at the end there is something,
which you can’t explain maybe,
but if you’re lucky,
it has to do with life.”